A strange title, no doubt, but I’ll explain in a moment.
Firstly, apologies for the delay. I’ve been busy with some other projects that couldn’t be delayed. And yes, I have been using Windows Azure Storage for that.
I’m doing some interesting work with Tropo, the cloud communications platform. It’s similar to Twillo. So, at some point I’ll do a screencast – my contribution to the lack of documentation for Tropo’s C# library.
This weeks episode had the stated intention of testing the Opml upload and storage routine we wrote back in Week 4.
We manage this, reading in the contents of the OPML file, storing the blog metadata in Windows Azure tables and the posts in Blob Storage.
However, in getting there, we have to tackle a number of bugs. Truthfully speaking, a few could have been avoid earlier – such as the fact that calling UrlPathEncode does not remove the ‘+’, and so IIS7 freaks out as a result (e.g. when blob names are used in URLs). Others, I had no idea about – like the requirement for only lowercase blob container and queue names.
Which brings me to why I’ve named this episode as such. Dave Winer wrote a brilliant post earlier this week about working with Open Formats. To quote him:
1. If it hurts when you do it, stop doing it.
2. Shut up and eat your vegetables.
3. Assume people have common sense.
Number 2 says you have to choose between being a person who hangs out on mail lists talking foul about people and their work, or plowing ahead and making software anyway even though you’re dealing with imperfection. If you’re serious about software, at some point you just do what you have to do. You accept that the format won’t do everything anyone could ever want it to do. Realize that’s how they were able to ship it, by deciding they had done enough and not pushing it any further.
So, this episode is about doing exactly that – shutting up about the bugs and getting the software to work.
The fact is that every episode so far has been about writing the foundations upon which we can build. The bugs solved in this episode, mean we have few problems down the road. We have been immersed in the nitty gritty details, rather than build with out having to worry if our feed details are really being read and stored, or if our tables are being created correctly, or if blobs are being stored in the right containers.
Enjoy (or not) my bug fixing:
Remember to head over to Vimeo.com to see the episode in all its HD glory.
A word about user Authentication. While I don’t cover it in the video, I’ll be moving to use Google Federated Authentication over Windows Live ID. So for next week, I’ll have the Windows Live Stuff removed, and we’ll be using Google and the Forms Authentication integration the dontnetopenauth library provides.
Next week, the order of business is as follows:
- Clean up our view HTML
- ViewData doesn’t work in a couple of places – so we need to fix that
- Store user subscriptions.
- Make a start on our update code
PS. I added new pre-roll this week as an experiment. Hope you like it.
You must be logged in to post a comment.